Tuesday 25 August 2009

Bizarre T Shirts

The first few days produced largely uninspiring material. Being whisked around to various places; training at school, medicals and meals with the new boss.
Being looked at in something that we’re becoming accustomed to; listening to Korean children in my class it’s to be expected. I was introduced to an 18 year old student. I was told I would be simply speaking to him for a lesson a week to improve his conversation English. “He likes to travel, so maybe you could speak to him about other counties” was what I was told. Outside of Korea he’s been to Japan and the Philippines; both countries well worthy of a visit I’m sure, but together they hardly constitute the entire life works of a well travelled individual. For many Koreans seeing a Westerner in the flesh is an entirely new experience. Still I draw the line at having a woman stop me in a 7/11 to look me up and down before leaving muttering to herself.
Two highlights of the opening week have been brought about through the joy of translation; namely slogan t-shirts and names of children. Children in the schools are given an English name. Most are simple (the names not the kids) such as John, Jessica. Others are better; I teach a Frank and a Betty. Some, however, are just plain genius. I teach one child called ‘Hero,’ but even that was trumped when I met a 10 year old boy named ‘The Future,’ ‘the’ being an integral part of the name. Named so because as he puts it “I am tomorrow, I am The Future.” Truly, absolutely wonderful. I can only wish to father such a child.
Slogan t-shirts written in English are rather common place in Korea. Not so common are the slogans themselves. Lindsay and I have a contest to find the greatest one. Highlights so far have been:
- Sorry I’m Late!
- When I’m mad at you, don’t be mad at me.
- Somewhere over the
and my personal favourite
- Judy Patch Me Famous
Somebody, somewhere is designing these and sniggering. I look forward to seeing what The Future’s slogan will be when he finally starts choosing his own clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment